Towards the end of 2010, I decided I wanted to try spinning coils. There had been an article in Spin Off, and the yarn in it looked like a lot of fun. So, I pulled out the roving that I had from a fleece I had sent off to a mill, since I had a lot of it. The first attempt was kind of pathetic. Couldn't really tell what I was doing, and the "coils" looked like thick and thin yarn. The second attempt was only a little better.
I then switched what I was using for the yarn that is spun thick and thin to make the coils. I don't think this made any real difference, I think it was the experience that was the key. Here's a picture of my last two attempts:
The coils on this look almost like the coils in the pictures that I liked so much. I think a few more practice runs and I will be able to produce something that looks vaguely like what I'm aiming for. Of course, I've gotten sidetracked and am spinning other things at the moment, but I'll get back to this eventually.
I'm finding that I want to spend more time knitting than my shoulder can take. I've had to start a couple of projects that are knit using the continental style so that I can knit a bit more than usual. I'm also pushing it in terms of what my shoulder can take.